10 Things I Learned from Survivor’s ‘Moment of Truth’ Video

Everyone thinks Joe Esposito’s “You’re The Best Around” is the quintessential Karate Kid song, but for my money “The Moment of Truth” by Survivor is where it’s at.

Unless we’re counting the Bill Conti score that hints at it throughout the film, you have to wait until the end credits to even hear the song–they were saving the best for last, you see. It’s that goddamn good.

But for one of the most inspirational songs ever recorded, I was pretty disappointed in the video.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqZQsv1QPA4

For better or worse, here’s what I learned:

1. As music videos go, this one is pretty lazy.

I mean 80% of it is Karate Kid footage while the other 20% is Survivor lounging around in what looks like Mr. Miyagi’s zen garden after Yard Crashers gave it a makeover.

2. The woods are an idyllic setting for keyboard solos.

Don’t you just feel so at peace surrounded by nature while the synthesizer carries you off into synthland?

3. Guitar, drums, whatever–Survivor plays the SHIT out of it.

Check out 0:20 and 1:21. Now that’s what I’m fucking talking about.

4. Daniel’s karate kicks match up to the beat.

Take a look at 1:44. That’s some cutting-edge editing right there.

5. Jimi Jamison likes standing on bridges.

Jimi Jamison - On a Bridge

6. Obligatory superimposed hands playing instruments.

Every ’80s video worth its salt makes liberal use of this effect. There’s a fine example of it at 1:56. Well done, Survivor.

7. Real men sing power rock anthems sitting down.

But to compensate, they have to make dramatic hand gestures to convey passion. Lead singer Jimi Jamison is to be commended for his use of the classic “Power Fist” at 2:06.

8. Fun with literal lyrics!

Jamison sings “Standing alone!” while he’s STANDING ALONE.

Survivor - Standing Alone

9. Electric guitar solos make Mr. Miyagi more epic.

Behold Mr. Miyagi in glorious slow motion at 3:00.

10. Willem Dafoe!

WILLEM DAFOE!

Is it just me, or does it totally sound like Jimi Jamison is singing “Willem Dafoe!” at 3:11? Let’s hear that again:

 

Now that you know more than you never wanted to know about this music video, it’s time to part ways and go find something more useful to do with our time. I’m off to go watch Karate Kid.

What 'Pickers' would be like if I spent a week with the hosts...
Adjust Your Tracking: The Untold Story of the VHS Collector
John Waters Approved: 'Hairspray' 1988 Soundtrack on Spotify