If you love ‘80s music and agree that everything sounds better chiptune-ified, you’ll love this 8-bit 80’s EP from an outfit called Super Power Club.
It’s a chiptunes tribute album to some of the biggest 80s hits, which have all been given a totally rad 8-bit makeover.
Here’s the tracklist, which quite frankly, rules:
- Take On Me (8-bit tribute to A-ha )
- I Ran (8-bit tribute to Flock of Seagulls )
- Don’t You Want Me (8-bit tribute to The Human League )
- Smooth Criminal (8-bit tribute to Michael Jackson )
- Mr. Roboto (8-bit tribute to Styx )
- Into the Groove (8-bit tribute to Madonna )
- Cars (8-bit tribute to Gary Numan )
- Billie Jean (8-bit tribute to Michael Jackson )
- Sweet Dreams (8-bit tribute to Eurythmics )
- Eye of the Tiger (8-bit tribute to Survivor )
- Straight Up (8-bit tribute to Paula Abdul )
- Walk Like an Egyptian (8-bit tribute to Paula Abdul )
I was impressed to see Styx and The Human League represented. All of the songs sound pretty kickass as chiptunes, but my favorite track has to be “Billie Jean.” It’s just an awesome song period. I can’t help but imagine an 8-bit Michael Jackson dancing on some pixelated light-up tiles every time I hear it.
I’m not sure how I’ve neglected to blog about Super Power Club yet since I’ve had them on my “8-Bits of Awesome” playlist in Spotify for a couple of months now. I don’t know who exactly is behind Super Power Club because it’s one of Vitamin Records many tribute projects (the same company that does those awesome string quartet tributes to popular bands).
I assume Super Power Club are a “them” because hey, it’s a club! Whatever the case, they’re definitely one of my favorite random discoveries. The Super Power club project also has a few other chiptunes tribute EPs that pay homage to mega pop hits like Lady Gaga’s Paparazzi and modern rock songs like Coldplay’s Viva La Vida.